Which OS do you prefer for non-power user tasks? (Geeky enough for you?)

Thursday, October 11, 2007

I'll Trust You If You Trust Me... Maybe

In case you didn't see it on Dr. Ahmad's Blog:

Main focus is reasons why or why not people trust other people. The author discusses 10 specific items people consider when deciding to trust. Personally I find Alignment of Interests to be the most interesting topic. What you guys all think. Alignment of Interests is the most prevalent concern in business because people want to make sure they aren't going to be “screwed” by their boss or co-worker. There are always people out there looking to do whatever it takes to get to the top and those people are the reason why it is difficult to trust other people at work. I know that most of the time at work I follow the CYA principle (Cover Your A**) because I'm never sure what my manager is really trying to do.
Interestingly on the “how do you relate trust to communication” many people seem to take the silence is gold approach. People don't know who they can trust so it is better not to let too much slip or align yourself to closely with another co-worker.
One thing I'm not sure I entirely agree with this author is that the decision to trust comes down to these 10 thought processes. On page 4 of the case study, they give an example of a company laying off employees and then giving the CEO a bonus. I think this is the perfect example of why people don't trust the management. But sometimes there is just more to it. We as evolutionary creatures develop a sixth sense about things, we had to or we wouldn't have survived (survival of the fittest anyone...). Some people just rub you the wrong way and you know they can't be trusted. When I experience a feeling like that I don't ask myself 10 questions I go with my gut. Going with the gut hasn't failed me yet. What do you guys all think?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'll trust you if you trust me? Well...like you said maybe. Depends on the issue at stake. In my case, as a teacher I trust you with your work.